[CF-Devel] Patch: client display issues

Tue Oct 14 01:45:04 CDT 2003

Andreas Kirschbaum wrote:

      Hello,

      I fixed some display issues with the x11 (cfclient) and the gtk (gcfclient)

      client.

       * server.diff: Fixes disappearing multi-square objects when scrolling the

         client view right and/or down.

  Is thie still a problem after the changes I did a week or so ago?  I didn't
see any drawing issues after I made that change.  So I'm wondering if the if
that patch is still needed.

  One could state 'well, what's the harm if it doesn't break anything more'.
Well, the real issue is that it's just more data being sent down the wire - it'd
be very easy to write a mechanism to just send every bit of data down the wire,
but that isn't bandwidth friendly.  So one has to be careful what changes one
makes to such code so that we don't send excessive amounts of data that we don't
need to send.

       * client1.diff: Sometimes objects (especially moving monsters) were not

         cleared properly, resulting in additional "ghost images".

         The removed comment is not correct: I think the real problem was the

         patch in "server.diff".

  Actually, I think that is the real problem there.  The client having any idea
of knowing what is off the screen is purely wrong - the only valid off screen
data is the bigimages, but that comment doesn't make any distinction on that.
So almost certainly what was happening is that off the screen the stack may have
been something like floor, empty, orc.  The orc disappears while the space is
not visible.  When that space is then visible, the client says 'there is a floor
on this space', which is perfectly correct, but with that comment, the data was
never cleared, so that the client thought it should display a floor and orc
again, so that orc remains displayed.

  I know for 100% that the problem was purely client issue - simply put, if you
used an older client, you'd never have the problem.

  So most likely that fix was put in place for one thing, which broke something
else.

       * client2.diff: This patch fixes the problem that multi-square objects

         hide the player.

  I tried that - you basically reversed the order of display.   I tried that to
correct some display issues, but found it created other display issues.  I think
it related to if you have big objects stacking over each other, but maybe I
tried that reversal before I made the other changes.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com