[CF-Devel] Bargaining skill not working?

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Tue Oct 28 01:37:20 CST 2003

Bernd Edler wrote:

      On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, Mark Wedel wrote:

       Bargaining skill gives you a bonus to your charisma.

       The bonus is (player level + 2) / 3.  So at low levels, it doesn't give you

     much a bonus.

       Realistic, the bonus should be related to the skill level, and not player

     level.  But to do that, some way to get exp in bargaining is needed.

      IMO, one should only get optimal prices if one has cha=30 AND maxlevel in

      bargaining.

      Otherwise, the charisma stat is more irrelevant than need be.

  Yep.  OTOH, since you only need charisma in limited circumstances, it is
mostly useless anyway - you go to buy/sell some items, and not apply all your
charisma enchancing items.

      My suggestion:

      1. No bonus on charisma for bargaining.

  reasonable.

      2. Calculate a bonus for bargaining:

      2a. additive:

      diff += .1 - .2 * SQRT((level(bargaining)+5)/(maxlevel+5))

      Thus diff would be between 0.1 and 0.92.

      2b. multiplicative:

      diff2 = .1 - .2 * SQRT((level(bargaining)+5)/(maxlevel+5))

            if(flag==F_BUY)

                val=(4.0*(float)val*(1.0+diff)*(1.0+diff2));

            else if (flag==F_SELL)

                val=(4.0*(float)val*(1.0-diff)*(1.0-diff2));

      The SQRT would help to generate diminishing returns for higher levels.

      The actual formula / weighting between cha and bargaining has to be

      tuned of course.

  Seems reasonable (one of those formula).  However, you need to make sure that
the overall bonus/advantage never gets to a case where you can buy something for
  less than you can sell it.  Otherwise, the economy gets really screwed up.

      3. Experience in bargaining:

      If we actually buy/sell an item, we calculate the actual price for the

      player and the price for a dummy-player with cha=0 and no bargaining

      skill.

      Then exp += abs(price_for_player-price_for_dummy)*somefactor.

  Presumably, that can be simplified to some extent based on just the bonus we
are giving to the skill?

  The one oddity with this is that as player gains exp in the skill, they'd have
a higher bonus, and thus get more exp (ignoring the other fact, that as players
gain levels, the amount of treasure they haul back would go up in value also).

      Thus one would not get exp. for gems.

      I suggest to set the ratio for overall level to zero.

  Probably correct.

      With the 64bit exp. high level players could waste bizzarre amounts of

      money to level up in bargaining. :)

  Yep - just buy and sell (repeatedly) the same object.

      And lazy players (too lazy to bother with +cha equipment) would waste

      money no matter what level they are.

      I could start coding right away, but i'd rather wait for some

      comments/discussion.

  It all seems reasonable to me.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com