[CF-Devel] On teleportation

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Tue Oct 28 11:47:54 CST 2003

      D-style means one thing: You have to go to the particular place before

      being able to teleport there. How many teleporter the big world maps need

      does not concern this. (Oh yeah, big world map should have hundreds of

      teleporters, I agree :-D )

      (Besides, some base code for that would be useful later on anyway... Well

      it requires some markers put on players. Dunno if there were any limit of

      that. There are -at least- two examples in the game already (Ancient

      Pupland and the Hero of Scorn thing, the latter seems not to be working

      after a while tho).)

      I think this type of teleportation would be perfect for experienced

      players and would force newbies (and pro players in new areas) to do some

      "gaming" except "hunting rampage".

I think you missed my point - there are only some 20 or so places to go
in Diablo, all in rough order building to the final confrontation.  You
can go anywhere in Crossfire (there is no final confrontation or
preferred path) and there are 900 world maps alone (not counting things
like pupland and dungeon locations).  When you step onto a Diablo
waypoint you can choose where you are to go from a little list of places
you've been on that level - how would you usefully do this in Crossfire
when - a) there is not order of adventure, b) there are literally
hundreds of destinations (many currently empty I admit - but potential)
Town portal lets you set up a two way portal now so that's covered, it
is how to get there in the second place you are wondering about.

Well you could join a guild, or learn that in dungeon X is a teleporter
to Y, or pay to ride the wagon to Navar, use transportation spells to
speed your journey (there's a thought - create some places like the
pupland terminal which can only be accessed by a spell or magic device.
  You could make scads of these from a single archetype by setting
slaying field in the object.  You could get there by using the spell or
device.  Make one for the Astral Plane or Gaia's glade or the Shadow
Closet, or the Caves of the Elder Dwarves... This would be fine since it
would require learning the spell or finding the device... (low levels
still loose out but that is how it works usually- they don't get
powerdragon mail either)   I still see no need for a 'teleport system'
however.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com