[CF-Devel] autoconfig requirements

Sat Sep 13 13:24:16 CDT 2003

One think I have brought up before and now again is that the
requirements to make the server are now automake1.7 and autoconfig 2.54
or higher.  These exceed the standard versions of these tool s in Debian
stable and likely many other distros.  Are these versions really
requirements?  I have managed to make the server by changing the
aclocal.m4 entry for autoconfig 2.54 to 2.52 and it compiles fine as far
as I can see (some automake warning but otherwise fine).  This would
represent a problem howver for folks not familiar with the server and
with distros that do not have this version of automake.  Should we
really force people to update standard OS tools to install a game?  My
point is if it isn't really a requirement then can we change it so that
people have less problems?  I am not saying that progress is not wanted
or that tools do not evolve, but arbitrary pseudo-requrements that cause
barriers or confusion for people are not good.  We cannot and do not
want to be tracking OS distros, but if a *required* tool version is not
in a major release such as Debian stable and is not *really* required I
can't see the value here.  I think it should be changed or someone
explain the necessity.  Personally I think it was likely slipped in by
accident.

On a related note I think the server config should also check for X
libraries and if they are not there it should not attempt to make
crossedit.  Someone on this list should be educated enough in the build
configure scripting to be able to make that work, no?  Isn't it possible
to do something like:

 if  not x11LIBS:
	SUBDIRS = A B C

 else:
	SUBDIRS = A B C crossedit

Ok, I'm done, back to checking out the new skill/spell stuff.

-Todd

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com