[CF-Devel] questions about new skill object

Thu Sep 18 10:42:43 CDT 2003

Hi,

This is all about the new skills.
I like the new skill system very much. Great work.

While I was trying to update the "types.xml" for the CFJavaEditor,
some things about the SKILL object type (43) were unclear to me,
so I'd like to ask...

1. "name" vs. "skill" attribute:
   According to the documentation, those two strings should or
   must be identical. They are used for skill matchings.

   I think having the two of them may simplify code, but it's quite
   irritating for arch-builders and mapmakers.
   Taking a glance at the code, it seems like most (/all?) of the
   matchings are applied to the "skill" attribute and not the object name.
   I think it would be worthwile to define only one attribute as
   responsible for matchings. For example "skill" is for matchings,
   and "name" doesn't matter. This can prevent errors too.

2. "subtype" attribute:
   This one seems to define the base functionality of the skill.
   It is the "link" between skill archtype and skill functions in
   the server, AFAIK.

   What I would have expected from this, is that I can define for example
   three different literacy skills - each with literacy subtype, but
   different stats. However, it turned out the server seems to
   require that each subtype appears only once in one skill archtype.

   That's no problem, but I would like to know:
   Why is this attribute in the arches at all? There seems to be no
   additional information contained in it. The skill names are already
   unique. The server code could just as well use the skill names
   to identify skills, couldn't it?
   Or the other way round: subtype could be used for all matchings,
   and we don't need skill names. (The JavaEditor can associate subtype
   numbers with names, so readability shouldn't be of concern.)

3. double meaning of "exp" and "level":
   When I understood the documentation correctly, the meaning of the
   "exp" and "level" attributes is different depending on wether
   the object is a default arch, or a map object.
   Is this true?

   When I take a default skill arch and put it into the inventory
   of a monster, does the meaning of exp and level suddenly
   change? Do I not even need to correct the values then?
   Or maybe the meaning won't change as long as I don't
   edit the values on the map... uh oh.

   If this is the case, I would strongly advise to split the
   different meanings into different variables.
   I wouln't even know how I can explain such a double-behaviour
   in the JavaEditor without really confusing people.

AndreasV

Getestet von Stiftung Warentest: GMX FreeMail (GUT), GMX ProMail (GUT)
(Heft 9/03 - 23 e-mail-Tarife: 6 gut, 12 befriedigend, 5 ausreichend)

Jetzt selbst kostenlos testen:

     http://www.gmx.net

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com