[CF-Devel] broken random map

Wed Sep 24 02:07:46 CDT 2003

Preston Crow wrote:

      It's been a while since I've seen a bad random map, but I ran into one on

      Metalforge last night:

      (null) (/random/pirateisland0479)

      xsize 17

      ysize 21

      wallstyle dungeon

      floorstyle lightdirt

      monsterstyle undead

      decorstyle creepy

      exitstyle sstair

      dungeon_level 26

      dungeon_depth 50

      orientation 1

      origin_x 1

      origin_y 1

      random_seed 1063146276

      I could see with x-ray vision where it should have been connected, but

      there were no doors or secret doors (I'm quite certain I checked every

      possible square).

  Yeah, I tracked down the problem to it trying to symmetrize rogue style layout
maps.

  The symmetry code was originally meant for spirals.  In that case, if you
start in the center of the map and start making a passage in one direction, your
bound to run into the spirals and thus connect things up.

  For rogue maps, this isn't the case as shown here - the passages miss the
chambers by a space.

  My solution to this is to just disable the symmetrizing of roguelike maps.
IMO, it probably doesn't add a whole bunch anyways.

  I cleaned up soem of the other code with this - I need to do a little more
testing before I commit it.

      Oh, and there are still maps with keys that don't go to anything.  I think

      it's a holdover from when there were locked chests, but that's just a

      guess.  I'll try to remember to post the map information the next time I

      see one.

  The random map code generates a whole bunch more keys than most people
typically need, so you end up with a pile of keys at the end.

  It'd probably be nice for the keys to actually have some name, eg, instead of
just 'special key', something like 'undead temple level 50 key' or something.
Still not pretty, but at least then you know if the keys are basically useless
and a key that is actually important (part of a quest or something) that also
doesn't have a name.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com