[CF-Devel] Re: [CF-Devel] New comunication commands. 'me and 'set_reply

Fri Sep 26 10:32:39 CDT 2003

     nicolas.weeger at laposte.net

      wrote:

      Here's what I propose for channels & such, based on what has been said

      previously. And if everyone agree, i'll implement that :)

      * ability to create channels, with or without password

      * persistent ones, at DM's discretion (newbie, admin, ...)

      * channel list, but without password protected ones

      * players can join any channel, provided they know the password if there

      is one

      * new command like csay (channel say) taking channel name argument

      * messages are sent to client in the form 'channel:<player> says something'

     I would prefer it be cshout since it is not local like say or personal
like tell/reply.
I would like it also if the channels had a consistent format (currently
a just a colour but in the future a style for the client to render) and
used a message priority of say 3 (so you can use listen to block these
messages but still recieve shouts).

      Maybe player will remember what channels they are in between sessions,

      as to not have to rejoin all the time when connecting.

Sure, but only persistant channels

      This way, current clients can use the new features right away, and read

      messages plainly.

      And future versions will parse the text to know which channel is concerned.

      As right know you could parse the '<name> tells you' message to see who

      asys what.

      Of course, that means the server manages channels... Maybe not that

      great an option?

I don't think that is bad - The server should be the dispatcher and
currently I would just use something like:
"... NDI_UNIQUE | <channelcolour>, 3, <channel members>, ... " to
actually send the messages.  Future changes to NDI to offload more
message formatting to the client would automatically apply to the
channel stuff then.

- as an aside, anyone have real objection if I change the priority of
tell and reply to 1?  You should be able to block this with listen and
putting it to the same level as shout (lower - maybe a 2?)  makes sense, no?

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com