[CF-Devel] Floors / walls and archetypes

Tue Sep 30 23:19:44 CDT 2003

Nicolas Weeger wrote:

      I agree there: map building is allowed in specific places only.

      I was asking about detecting floors/walls in general. If the map is

      specific, then specific flags can, and probably must, be used on

      walls/floors to indicate where you can build. Maybe using the FLAG or

      WALL tags in define.h? <grin>

  Or appropriate floor building objects or whatever (eg, imagine a map you start
out with special floor builder objects.  You buy 'tokens', and when you drop
them on a space, different things show up (wall token, marble floor token, etc).
You could also have a 'this space is finished token'.)

      About 'blocked' view, I don't know if they are required or not around

      walls (so xray has something to see behind the wall). That's something I

      can't tell, don't know the code enough right now.

      But if they are required, then for building you should be able to mess

      with them...

  This is a bit trickier.  Because you have some objects, like the 'swall'
archetypes, which are the jail type walls.  These block passage, but don't block
the view.  However, once again, they should probably be considered walls.

  The simple definition of a wall is something that you can't pass through, and
line of sight isn't important.

  But that will also get blurred that if in the future, more refinement on
movement types are added (Eg, no walk, no fly, no spell, etc through spaces).
Something like the swall, while blocking fly/walk, should perhaps allow spells,
eg, burning hands through it would make sense.

      Actually you can figure building maps in two ways: start from big empty

      map, and can't remove outter walls, thus messing with blocking view

      isn't required. Or the opposite, start with small room and dig walls to

      make room.

      That is, either build on an outside map, or dig in a hole :)

  Well, I'd think the former is easier.  Because the idea of adding new walls is
probably a bit more palatable then trying to figure out what walls to remove.
Just from a movement standpoint, you can't stand on top of a wall, so you need
to deal with directions and so forth to remove walls.  However, you can stand on
top of an empty space.

  But also it means you can start out with 'mostly' empty maps, with perhaps
some special section walled off (say special teleporter or something).  If you
can only add walls, you then can't get access to that teleporter until you pay
whatever some of money.  But if you can remove them, then you need to put in
special indicators of 'don't remove these walls'.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com