[CF-Devel] Sound proposal

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Sat Apr 17 02:00:50 CDT 2004

Todd Mitchell wrote:

      I think the way the images are handled is pretty smart and sound should

      follow the same sort of system.  This makes it really easy to customize at

      the server or the client level but allows for server admins to just ignore it

      and use the precollected packages too.  One thing sound should have 'sets'

      like graphics have sets so that the client can choose which set to play with.

      This would let you have small sound files collection for the modem users and

      large soundfiles for people who want them - or even a creepy or a zany set of

      sounds.

  Note that ideally, the sound files shouldn't change very often, and thus the
size of them should be less an issue (download once and not again).

  I do wonder if having different sets is a good idea - it would seem to dilute
effort - now granted, I'm not sure how the new sounds show up (people composing
them, people gathering them, whatever).

  But I'd also make the case the alternate sounds can be handled much easier
than alternate images - as I've said before, if you are missing a few sounds,
its hardly the end of the world.

  Thus, you could just as easily have a different directories for the different
sounds, and the client user just says which one to use (sounds-standard,
sounds-eerie, etc).

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com