[CF-Devel] client compile warnings

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Mon Apr 19 00:04:18 CDT 2004

Todd Mitchell wrote:

      it's been a while since I built the client (gtk) but when I do (gcc

      version 3.3.3 (Debian 20040320)) I get a few warnings but it doesn't

      seem to be a problem.  Just thought I'd let folks know about them.

      png.c: In function `rgba_to_xpixmap':

      png.c:783: warning: `cmask' might be used uninitialized in this function

      png.c:783: warning: `lastcolor' might be used uninitialized in this

      function

  I don't think there were any actual errors here - other conditions have to be
true before cmask and lastcolor might be referenced, and for those conditions to
be true, I believe it would result in those fields being set by that time.

  That said, easy change to initialize those values anyways - just good practice.

      gcc -g -O2 -DOSS_SOUND -Wall    -I/usr/X11R6/include -I.. -I../common

      -I. -c sound.c

      gcc -g -O2 -DOSS_SOUND -Wall    -I/usr/X11R6/include -I.. -I../common

      -I. -c x11.c

      x11.c: In function `get_root_display':

      x11.c:2092: warning: passing arg 1 of `XSetErrorHandler' from

      incompatible pointer type

  I've fixed this - thought I tried to fix it before, but had problems.  Looking
at the docs, only change that I had to make was the return type for the error
handler.

      gcc -g -O2 -DOSS_SOUND -Wall    -I/usr/X11R6/include -I.. -I../common

      -I. -c xutil.c

      xutil.c: In function `insert_key':

      xutil.c:247: warning: comparison is always false due to limited range of

      data type

  That is harmless - there is code there that checks that the keycode is valid.
  It appears that the size of the type basically enforces that.  I don't know if
in the past, or some different systems, have a different sized data for the
keycode, so it might be true on some systems.

  Or it could just be code leftover from long ago.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com