[CF-Devel] Ghosting problem, weather thoughts

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Tue Aug 3 16:35:47 CDT 2004

David Seikel wrote:

      On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 09:40:15 -0400

      mikeeusa at caethaver2.ath.cx

       wrote:

      I had big plans for the weather code.  One of the major plans was to move the

      weather code to a separate server, to help with the resource usage (just run

      it on a different box).  That is about half way completed.

  Just a note - I never really saw that much a point in that - it seems that if
you are short of resources on the main box, it is probably easier to add
resources on that first box that have another box in play.

  But it also all depends on what is considered the minimum requirements.  It
could very well be a case that a 128 MB p2-300 isn't considered appropriate.

  My only real main objection to it being a seperate process is that surely adds
complexity - you still have all the complexity is the weather program to do the
generations, but you have added complexity that it needs to communicate those
changes to/from the server, keep synchronized, etc - and it then depends on how
that is done and where the resources are really spent on the server (eg,
has to do those, and now update those maps, communicate that data back and
forth, I'm really not sure how much work is now getting offloaded)

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com