[CF-Devel] Weather level 5 (Re: Weather needs smoothing)

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Fri Aug 6 02:08:51 CDT 2004

On 06-Aug-2004

     mikeeusa at caethaver2.ath.cx

      wrote:

      only 2 problems are snow as weather dosn't smooth for some reason and the

      equator is_

      in the middle. How would I set the equator to the bottom of the bigworld?

Hrmm.. it's been awhile..  Oh.. here we are..  You basically want to write a
new version of weather.c:polar_distance()

Basically it determines how far a given x,y is from the equator.  You would
simply change it to return something based only on the y value, rather than the
stuff it does now to calculate the diagonal equator.  Change that one function,
and you have a new equator.

      Feathering_

      sounds like a good solution to the elevation hole problem. Another thing that

      could_

      be done is a script that parses the worldmaps (perl yay) and if it finds say

      a_

      mountain tile with no elevation if it is a highmountain it makes it

      elevation_

      10000-12000 or so etc and do this with hills too and posibly grass etc._

I had some perl scripts that would backpatch the elevation from an old copy of
the map that still had it.  However if you've added a new mountain, you will
basically have to manually edit it, or do something like you suggest with the
script basing it off the terrain.

The feathering doesn't work at all.  You would have to fix that routine, and
that is not a simple task.  It is currently commented out from weather_effect().

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net

NetBSD: Free multi-architecture OS