[CF-Devel] Combat animations/sound

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Sun Feb 1 21:57:04 CST 2004

I don't think that combat animations would be worth the effort.  In fact
it took me a while to animate most of the PC races and classes (this
pretty much works as battle animation BTW, in addition to telling you
when you are blocked or just lagged).  Even these simple animations take
a long time to do and have not been finished so I don't see much hope of
adding in whole new 'layer' of animation.  I would for a start like to
see all the arches that need animation animated though.  Been puttering
away at that actually, hopefully large images will help make that more
accessable to people.
As for death animations - perhaps some sort of red flash or other death
notification would actually be pretty good if it was subtle.  I've
wanted some sort of aura system for a while now so you could easily see
poision and magic states like cursed and blessed or whatever.  I think
there was discussusion of this in relation to the smoothing code in the
client? A death 'aura' could use this sort of system too.

      Death animations are not needed.  Thoes would get old.  Fighting animations

      are needed though.  I know the artwork would take a lot of work, but without

      it it is very hard to get into Crossfire.  The slowing down combat would be

      a good idea as well.

      Adopt a...

      Quality > Quantity   approach to the game

      Instead of 100 orcs, have 25 orcs 4 times as strong with 4 times the xp and

      such.

That would be great for a game not based on Gauntlet, but the CF combat
system is based in the mob approach to combat and IMHO many of the
better maps are more like tetris than diablo if you get my meaning.
Quality is derived from the experience of the entire game, not any
specific implementation - 100 orcs is better than 25 if the map (or the
combat system) was designed for 100 orcs.

-my two cents anyway,
Todd.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com