[CF-Devel] Combat animations/sound

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Mon Feb 9 06:17:24 CST 2004

Speaking about map protocol redo:

Here are some map related suggestions that i plan to implement one day or another, as part of a complete protocol refresh/clean up

 - additionnal layers (bottom of everything, bottom, middle, top, on top of everything). Not yet fixed, see point below.
 - More than one visible item available in a layer (they just stack at that layer)
 - Map is made of 2 concurrent part:
   * The mostly fixed one (ground, buildings, non pickable/non killable items)
   * The non fixed one (mainly monsters and pickables).

The mostly fixed part of map would be send to client only one time. This would includes additionnal info like blocked squares (so client can precalculate moves, and make things look softer). Changes to this part of map (which may happen from time to time) will trigger a patch event from server to client so map are against in sync. I am thinking about using a big picture for the map background/buildings/Walls(so mapmakers could design a map made of something else than squares)

The dynamic part will be send in a way similar to actual one (but in a reworked protocol to have clean code)

No need to say map animations would be handled only by client.