[CF-Devel] Future plans?

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Sun Feb 22 19:24:10 CST 2004

Nicolas Weeger wrote:

      Hello.

      I was wondering if anyone was doing any big thing on the server (or

      client) side. Any big feature planned?

      I'm out of ideas right now :)

      (ok, i could clean warnings, or write documentation, but it's funnier to

      do new things, sometimes).

  Well, in the near future, I'll probably make a new server release, which is
one reason I've been more on top of bugs recently than big features.

  The TODO list is always an interesting place to look.

  Anyways, a short list of thoughts:

1) Refine blocking code (flying, walking, swimming, spells, etc).  This should
be discussed more before actually doing so, because there are many issues (like
most projects, much rather it get done properly the first time, vs have to get
hacked on multiple times).

  But quickly, the idea would be to add something like 'required_move_types',
'slowed_move_types' and 'can_move_type' to the objects.  The naming here is a
bit messy, because there is already a 'move_type' field in the object for pet
move, or random moves, etc.

  Basically, if required move types is set, the player/monster must have one
those move types to move through the space.  If it is set to 0, then there are
no restrictions.

slowed_move_types indicates the terrain slows movements for those types.  In
that way, hills could slow movement for people walking, but not flying.  The
skills themselves could contain there own move types, to indicate that they help
movement through that type of terrain.

2) Re do treasure lists as mentioned in mail a month or two back.

3) client/protocol improvements.  One that comes immediately to mind, and not
too difficult, is change the drawinfo stuff.  Instead of hte server telling the
client color informatin, the server should tell the client context information
(level gain, killed creature, item description, listing, etc).  Probably want to
figure out maybe around a dozen of these - in that way, the client, and ideally
the player through menus, can determine how to display it (color, different
font, etc).

4) Re do character cretion - ideally, give player some number of stat points,
and let the client do the work of letting the player set the stats, choose race,
choose starting point, etc.  I think that would make for a friendlier start than
the current method.  The server off coursse validates the results.

  probably others I'm forgetting.

  As for what I'm working on right now - I'm doing work on a gtk 2 compliant
client, developed with glade.  I really cared more about the glade part that hte
gtk2 part, but glade will make other developement of client interfaces much
easier in the future.

      As a side note, bug #757920 (gcfclient Win32 port unproperly handling

      cached images) can be closed, it has been fixed in 1.6.0 release.

  You should have permissions now to update bugs on your own.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com