[CF-Devel] skills bug

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Wed Feb 25 01:56:15 CST 2004

  A few notes -

  It seems there may be a general misconception on how exp is rewarded.

  If say my share for being in a party is 50 melee weapon exp, I'll get 50 exp
in melee weapons, and 50 exp against my total.

  The code can certainly get changed such that the character gets no exp in
melee weapons, but the fact he is getting exp in melee weapons in now way
reduces the amount of exp he is getting.

  Now what is overall exp useful for?  Overall level of course, which several
things are based off of (allowed item power, power of your custom weapon, maybe
a few other things).

  Now it would certainly be possible to group some skills related - eg, group
combat skills.  So if someone kills something with one combat skill, and the
other party memember has another combat skill ready, he gets exp in that ready
skill.

  The problem here is now the issue of what if the second character does not
have a combat skill readied?  trying to find the one to shuffle it into that the
player wants can be difficult?  The one the player has the most exp in?  May not
be the one the player wants if they are building up some other skill.

  In terms of pets and summoned monsters, in those cases, the skill/owner for
the pet is supposed to be set to the appropriate skill (eg, summoning) so if the
monster kills something with its default means, exp goes to that skill
(summoning).  In most cases, monsters don't use skills.

  However, missile weapons is apparantly a special case, in that it does see
that skill was used, and then credits the missle weapon skill back to the owner.

  Note that when the discussion of redoing skills first came up, the idea of
being able to shuffle exp was brought up, and generally didn't seem that popular.

  It certainly wouldn't be that hard to add a generic container skill that just
accumulates exp when the player doesn't have the skill itself.  And some
mechanism to redistribute that could be added.  I do have some concerns - even
with a penalty, a player could certainly accumulate and distribute a lot more
exp to other skills that would normally be difficult to do so.

  As such, it'd probably still be necessarily to limit where the player can
redistribute the exp to - basically, combat/spell related skills.  Eg, you might
not have pyromancy, but have sorcery, so you decide you want exp from that
general bucket to go to sorcery.  But you can't put it into disarm traps for
example.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com