[CF-Devel] Access to god_power resistance

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Mon Jan 19 23:50:38 CST 2004

Rick Tanner wrote:

      I'm not sure if this is intentional or not (or a misunderstanding on my

      part..) but players are able to obtain god_power resistance.

     From previous discussions:

      "In order to maintain the challenge level of Crossfire, the attacktype

      godpower is used. Since it's possible to gain resistances and protection

      to all all other attack_types certain monsters have godpower which will

      damage to player character. I know, it doesn't seem fair - but it's no fun

      when the game is easy, either."

      The spells Holy Possession and Bless grant resistance of 95 and 35,

      respectively.  Should they?

  I actually thought this sort of worked the other way.

  Eg, monsters generally should not have godpower resistance, since those
attacktypes that players get with godpower can be useful.  given that, there
really shouldn't be anything that gives player permanent godpower attacktype
(eg, spells are temporary godpower attacktype - there shouldn't be a
weapon/ring/whatever that gives it to the player).

  Given the way attacks work, it doesn't seem much an issue to me for monsters
to have godpower attacks, and thus godpower resistance.

  I do believe, however, that there aren't any items that players can get that
give weaponmagic resistance.  So if you really want a monster to always be able
to damage a player, you could give them weaponmagic.

  Or, you can just give them every attacktype - surely the player won't have
protections to them all.

  But related to that, temporary mechanisms to get 'really good' stuff isn't as
big an issue.  I certainly wouldn't want to see an item that a player could
equip that gives them godpower resitance.

  It seems to be that holy possession is also something you can only get by
praying on an altar?  If so, that also makes it a bit less powerful/useful.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com