Re: [CF-Devel] Weather level 5 (Re: Weather needs smoothing)

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Fri Jul 30 13:03:07 CDT 2004

Level 5 weather is not just weather but erosion/climate as well I think - it is a lot to process on the maps beacuse it would change ground arches such as swamp to desert as well as do 'weather'.  There are still a few places (mostly cities) where there are no elevation of the landscape as well which may or may not be a problem for the code.  In the least it will result in very active weather as it will be a big hole in the elevation map.  Weather is still somewhat experimental (and anything above level 3 I had problems with in the past) I believe so there could be leaks or whatnot as well I suppose.  There may be problems with the feathering code as well but I would have to check the archives to remember that.

      The reason *I* don't run level 5 is that it eats RAM like

      crazy.  I know it's supposed to, but if someone could check for

      leaks, I'd feel better.

      Recipe for crashing your server:

      1. run with 128Mb or less

      2. run with weather on lvl 5

      3. open a client (if possible in the same machine to eat more

         RAM) ;-)

      4. go to Wolfsburg

      5. crash

      No, I don't know why Wolfsburg :-) I suppose it is (IIRC) an

      equatorial climate, very humid, so the server has to manage

      pools and plants and whatnot *PLUS* the town itself...

      []s,

                                                     +----

      --

                  Those who trade freedom for security