[CF-Devel] More patches and things to consider

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Sat Jul 31 01:41:33 CDT 2004

Patches I uploaded to Sourceforge patch tracker

Oops. I forgot to say that I think these could go into CVS.

 * 1001086: Say something when script not found (Unix)

     Doesn't appear on front page, perhaps because it's for the client? :S

 * 1001081: Crossedit: copy script events when copying.
 * 1001079: Make "alchemy" books say which skill.

Other things I'm not sure of
==============================

These are ideas, some with code. What do you think of them?

Server
-------

Modify the value of any generated spellbook that currently has the value of
its clone, rather than only ones with a random spell.:

   This means you can plonk a spellbook and the spellarch on a map, and let
   the arch writers worry about how much its worth.

   If you've set the value of the spellbook, on the other hand, it won't be
   touched.

Looking at a spellbook:

   Rather than "foo is a 9 level bar spell", "foo is a ninth level bar
   spell". There turned out to be a function for that sort of thing in
   common/item.c, I think.

Argh! Void pointers!

   Last time I looked there's a couple of places in the Python plugin that
   possibly assume ints and longs were passed by reference rather than by
   value, causing '*(int *)' to have unexpected values.

   I'm not sure which way around's the one intended by the plugin system's
   author, though.

Documentation:

   I added a few lines to two of the player-help documents in my local CVS
   tree. Should I share them?

Client
-------

"-nometaserver" option:

  It's useful for testing the client offline. However, my implementation
  can't change the flag during runtime.

local-command table and fnu help system:

  I got a bit carried away, and now my local client source tree has an
  array of the client-local commands, *and* functions for getting help
  on them.

  This allows the list of client commands ('help commands') to be
  generated, and to keep the help for each command with the command.

  I even changed the GTK help dialog so you can type a command name
  in.

Inventory filter:

  * Describe different filters in one place in the code.
  * Filter your inventory in different ways.

    For GTK users, this means you can redefine the tabs.

  * Get a client-script to filter your inventory! (One beat behind the
    game, though. :( )

  * Untested: custom sorting inventory, too.

This one I'm particularly unsure of. I have a working implementation,
but it's complicated to use. If you *do* like the idea, I'd like to hear
how you think it should work.

--
  Thanks,

 -- Kevin "Third Time's a Rotten Black Pudding" Rudat <

     krudat at iinet.net.au

Has been bitten by semantics before.   Sci-Fi/Fantasy ... type.
Pretends to know a bit of programming. Very bad manners.
Terrible posture and co-ordination.    A forgetful ... wha?

<Kaa-Hahhnn> Humans are an example of a species rushed to life without
          proper testing... they have LOTS of bugs to fix. ;>

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com