[CF-Devel] Some points for discussion!

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Thu Jun 3 02:23:30 CDT 2004

Kevin C. Rudat wrote:

      Apologies for writing this so late at night.

      Tinkering mainly with the client, I've got some discussion

      items:

       * Late November last year, it was said that should commands

         like 'eat' for food or 'unwield' for weapons be made,

         they should go in the client.

         Unfortunately, the server has access to several different

         sorts of names (base name, short name, custom_name) for items,

         used in item_matched_string (arch.c line 212).

         The client only gets one or two 'cooked' strings.

         Opinions?

         (It's worse for 'turn' for levers; levers don't get a client_type.

         Perhaps guess by face?)

  Well, client_type could perhaps get sent for those items.  I most concentrated
on setting client type of objects that the player picks up, so that the
inventory sorting can be done sensibly.

  There isn't any reason that client type can't get set up for objects that
aren't picked up, but that the player otherwise manipulates.  Not many come to
mind however.

  Not sure the usefulness of having specific commands to do certain things - I'm
still likely to find 'apply' just more useful, but not that big an issue if
other bits are added in.

       * Installing from CVS, I had to copy the various bits and pieces

         in lib (bmaps, faces, animations, formulae...) by hand after

         doing make install.

  This shouldn't be necessary - "it works for me" :)

      krudat at kevin

      :~/fiddling/crossfire/crossfire/crossfire$ autoconf --version

        autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59

        Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.

  That looks reasonably up to date (I have 2.57)

      krudat at kevin

      :~/fiddling/crossfire/crossfire/crossfire$ automake --version

        automake (GNU automake) 1.4-p6

        Copyright (C) 1999, 2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

        Written by Tom Tromey <

      tromey at redhat.com

  that looks pretty old - I have version 1.6.3.  I'd personally suggest grabbing
a later version and see if that works and fixes those automake complaints.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com