[CF-Devel] crossfire -detach command-line option

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Sat Jun 26 21:20:47 CDT 2004

On Wednesday 23 June 2004 23:19, Mark Wedel wrote:

      Kevin R. Bulgrien wrote:

      > I am having a very hard time getting the crossfire to

      > run as a service with a non-permissioned user while

      > using the -detach option.

        Any log messages containing output?

No clues in the log at all.

========================
Begin New Server Session
========================

Reading bmaps from /home/games/share/crossfire/bmaps...done (got
4394/4395/4395)
Reading faces from /home/games/share/crossfire/faces...done
Reading smooth from /home/games/share/crossfire/smooth...done (got 77 smooth
entries)
Reading animations from /home/games/share/crossfire/animations...done. got
(870)
Reading archetypes from /home/games/share/crossfire/archetypes...
 arch-pass 1...
 Adding friendly object Evil Master, Bonehead.
 done
 Setting up archetable...done
 done
 arch-pass 2...
 done
 done
Reading attack messages from /home/games/share/crossfire/attackmess...got 260
messages in 19 categories.
Reading clockdata from /home/games/var/crossfire/clockdata...todtick=74294720
Emergency mappath reset to /world/world_105_115 (5, 37)
Reading material type data from /home/games/share/crossfire/materials...Done.
Welcome to CrossFire, v1.6.0
Copyright (C) 1994 Mark Wedel.
Copyright (C) 1992 Frank Tore Johansen.

       Probably no one uses the -detach option.  I think most servers

      (metalforge among them) use one of the crossloop scripts.  These will

      restart the server if it goes down (crash, whatever).

Ok.  Did not even know about them.   crossloop does not seem to
handle stuff like "service crossloop stop".  Is there any issue with
a server going down too fast so that crossfire would not go down
cleanly?  Not having enough time to do it's save when it gets
killed?

        There does seem some bug in using it, but I have to say that it would be

      a very low priority bug (given easy workarounds), and the fix would

      probably be to remove the -detach and related code.

(Shrug)  Ok.  -detach was nice because it was easy to plainly
set up a script to do simple start/stop/status type stuff on a
local homebrew server that isn't necessarily run 24/7.   I used
to do this with crossfire a year and a half or so ago.  From
what I can see, the crossloop scripts are pretty basic except
that they do handle restarts/cores, nicely.  Maybe I can work
one of them over and get what I was looking for.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com