[CF-Devel] '/command and '<text to say>

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Wed Mar 10 05:21:41 CST 2004

Jochen Suckfuell wrote:

     In order to do so, the server must handle the default as say unless it

     sees a '/'.  If it does see a slash, it will parse it as a command,

     unless it is not listed on the server as a command, in which case it

     would return an invalid command error.

     This could be handled completely in the client. That way, it could even

     be optional.

     Yes that would work, but I feel that server side would pay off more in
the end.  It would make sense to make our current style as the default
if the slashed command prefix weren't *much* more common than our
command style.  For example, IRC and the overwhelming majority of other
MMOGs prefix commands with a /.  Finally, it makes more sense to err on
the side of caution and use the most commonly used command style rather
than to force people to learn a new command entry style if they haven't
used it before.  Also, if we were to add this as just a client option,
you would need to patch each of the 5 different clients.

Another reason is that I feel that the method of entry we use now is
highly redundant.  'say is the most commonly used command... why should
I need to type say to say something anyway?  I think we can err on the
side of caution and handle text as though users want to say something
when they don't deliberately invoke a command.

Another advantage is that if we write this into the server, if someone
didn't write the "standard command" option into the client this use
would still be default.  For many people who are new to Crossfire this
may be much easier to understand than typing commands without /.  The
client can still have an option for "Crossfire style commands",
regardless of whether we handle this server side or not, but I feel that
if we put this on the server it will be much more beneficial.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com