[CF-Devel] '/command and '<text to say>

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Fri Mar 12 02:27:48 CST 2004

  this will never be done on server side.  It just makes no sense.

  If your goal was to try to make it work better with old clients, you will in
fact just break them to be completely useless.

  This is because all the pre-bound commands (eg, a=apply, s=search, up
arrow=north, etc) are indistinguishable from the user typing that command - the
server sees the exact same data.

  So if this was changed on the behaviour, all clients would be totally broken
until they were updated.  And the reason some clients (old directx client) is
out of data is because it can't be updated, so such a change wouldn't help that out.

  Now personally, since I have " (double quote) bound as the say command, I
don't find it really hard to press that and then say whatever.

  I'd actual make the case that this is more just a user interface issue.  One
could add a couple of text entry boxes - one like:

Say: <place for user to type in text>
Tell <place for user to type in person to tell> <another box for text>

  So if you want to say something, you just click in the say box.

  For the tell area - the person to tell box wouldn't get cleared out after the
tell is done.  Thus, you could just keep telling stuff to the same person over
and over again, and if you want to tell someone else, you coudl just clear it
out at that point.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com