[CF-Devel] faster portgate (context diff)

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Sat May 15 23:40:01 CDT 2004

Palfy Tamas wrote:

      Yeah, waiting is as much part of the game as having to spend 15 mins to

      get to Navar from Scorn on foot. Maybe it's intended, tho I wonder if

      there was a real reason to make players suffer such things. Just to make

      things harder so it's much better a challenge? Sure things ain't bad if

      they are hard sometimes. Messing with players real time thru such pitiful

      things ain't good either IMO.

  Well, there are certainly shortcuts, eg, get gobs of money, expand your
apartment, and use the teleporters.

  Note that the bigworld goal wasn't to waste player time.  But it was to
increase travel time a bit - it never made a lot of sense on the old smallworld
where walking from town to town was only about 3 times longer than walking
across the town itself.

  But it was a side goal to increase travel times some, so that it was no longer
especially easy to visit every shop out there in 2 minutes flat.  while it may
be a bit frustrating at times (I really want a book of XYZ, but this town
doesn't have it), I think that is a reasonable part of the game.

  Now I do plan to make changes sometime soon that changes the player speed
model some - players will be less likely to be blindingly fast, but player
minimum speed will also be increased, so that players will no longer move at a
crawl like that sometimes do when heavily loaded (and heavily loaded for a weak
character might not be all that much stuff right now).

  Note that a longer term goal is to add other travel mechanisms (horses, boats,
griffins, etc) that perhaps change travel times.

  I also wouldn't be all to adverse to adding a 'teleporter shop/guild' - has
teleporters to a few fixed locations (major towns that are normally easy to get
to) for a price - say like 100 pp or something.  So you then weight money vs time.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com