[CF-Devel] Icestorm - could not move - death

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Thu May 20 00:22:33 CDT 2004

ERACC wrote:

      Greetings Developers,

      In the Wizard Tower in Lake Country my character Galahad was just

      killed because the Grand Master's icestorm pushed him into the little

      hallway at the bottom and he could not move while the cold resist

      potion wore off. It was not paralyzation as he had +100 against that

      with the equipment. Is that the desired result?

      I noticed Galahad being shoved around a lot by icestorm. This is the

      first time I've ever gone to the Wizard Tower with this character. It

      is also the first time there since the code changed to where these

      spells push things. If there was something else I could have done to

      prepare for this I don't know what it is.

      Galahad was able to go back and kill it even though all his stats are

      down, again. Very frustrating that it could not be done the first

      time because he was trapped by icestorm. :-(

  Well, I notice that it is intentional that icestorm does puch the players back.

  What is probably missing here is that check_spell_knockback doesn't care about
the resistances the target may have.  I'm thinking that should probably be
changed - perhaps the effect of knockback is adjusted based on resistance to the
attacktype.

  But looking at the code, I wonder if the knockback code could get moved into
the hit_map or the like - since that already traverses the spaces, looking for
objects to damage/destroy, and also processes the resistances, it would seem
more efficient to modify hit_map to perhaps take an extra paramter or two to
denote hitback effect (or perhaps hit_map can just look at the type/subtype that
is passed in on op, and figure it out from there)

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com