[CF-Devel] Party spells (continued)

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Mon Oct 18 16:19:11 CDT 2004

(cross-posted to cf-devel & cf-general to have more ideas)

Looked around in the code on how to make party spells (for instance
'party heal' to heal everyone in party ;p), it shouldn't be too hard
to make it work.

Now there are a few things to consider:
* will the 'no_magic' / 'no_cleric' flags apply to all affected
players, or only the caster?
* how many party players to affect? fixed number, based on skill level?
* spell cost: fixed? something like (affected players * spell base) +
fixed cost?
* what spells to include? obviously protections / healing, word of
recall probably. Do we also want to have fun with stuff like 'party
burning hands', or why not 'party sanctuary'? :)

Now implementation-wise. I see 2 ways to do that:
* create new spell subtypes, for each party spell, duplicating
existing spells
* create a new archetype with one spell subtype, and use the
'other_arch' field (or inventory?) to specifiy which spell to actually use

First solution is sure to not break anything (ie no issue with
'other_arch' not initialized, and such), but requires a few spell
subtypes.
Second gives more latitude on what spells to be able to cast, but will
require some tweaking around (check_spell_known for one, and other
places certainly).

Ideas, opinions, suggestions? :)

Ryo

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com