[CF-Devel] More patches and things to consider

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Mon Sep 6 04:43:31 CDT 2004

One new one:
Patch tracker # 1022962: Rare book name overrun.

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 12:25:42AM -0700, Mark Wedel wrote:

      Kevin C. Rudat wrote:

      > * 1001079: Make "alchemy" books say which skill.

       Looking at the comments on the bug, there is a note that perhaps not

       saying what skill is part of the game.  I'm convinced of that argument

I wrote the patch because I didn't like the books claiming that every
recipie was an alchemy formula, when that's no longer true. I thought a patch
to give the right skill would be better than a patch just to remove the line
about alchemy. ;) I can understand wanting to give the challenge of figuring
out which skill to use, though.

      (should we similarly hide spellbooks such that player doesn't know?)

After all that work to add the three new spellbook faces? ;)

      A lot of alchemy has been more friendly - at one point, you didn't even

      know what recipe you were buying until you could decipher it, because the

      title of the book didn't contain that.

      But that basically made buying recipes useless.

*confused*

Being able to see what item you're buying a recipie for, or
*not* being able to see which item it tells you how to make?

<snip>

      >Server

      >-------

      >Modify the value of any generated spellbook that currently has the value of

      >its clone, rather than only ones with a random spell.:

      >   This means you can plonk a spellbook and the spellarch on a map, and let

      >   the arch writers worry about how much its worth.

       I'm not sure what you mean by this - I'm guessing that have the value

      calculated when the player tries to sell it/look it/whatever, based on the

      spell it contains?

My patch was worse: calculate it in the loader, I think.

<snip: arguments why not>

I agree. I like the editor being able to calculate it. The patch was for
a lazy mapmaker like me. (Perhaps a special server-dump-information mode
that looks for oddly priced spellbooks, so mapmakers can tell if they should
change prices.)

      >Looking at a spellbook:

      >   Rather than "foo is a 9 level bar spell", "foo is a ninth level bar

      >   spell".

<snip>

Patch tracker # 1022973: "Words for numbers in spellbook description".

      >   Last time I looked there's a couple of places in the Python plugin that

      >   possibly assume ints and longs were passed by reference rather than by

      >   value, causing '*(int *)' to have unexpected values.

       Should probably point out specifically which ones these are.

Patch tracker # 1022954: "Partial plugin pointer patch".

However, I dunno if Yann Chachkoff wanted ints pass by value or by
reference.

<snip>

      >   I added a few lines to two of the player-help documents in my local CVS

      >   tree. Should I share them?

       Sure - can't hurt.

I ran diff and found I'd twiddled some other bits and pieces, too.
Patch tracker # 1022942: "Random documentation updates".

<snip>

       I find if that's the case, you could just do a '-client 127.0.0.1' or the

      like.  I'm not convinced the wide spread usage of a nometaserver option.

Neither am I. In my compile of the client, when disconnected from the
network: After leaving a server, the client appears to block for half a
minute before giving up on the metaserver. It was just mildly annoying to
wait for the old client to go away so I could try the next compile.

      >local-command table and fnu help system:

<snip>

       Would be worth seeing.

Patch tracker # 1022245: "Improve client help with command tables".

      >Inventory filter:

       Well, what is probably most needed is a custom tag that can be applied to

       the items to dictate how they show up.

       I see limited value in being able to sort objects by type.  So being able

       to say 'this tab is all my money type objects' could be nice

Just to be clear:

The patch I made was originally to do things like redefine the tab with the
gold coins on it to have all the money-type objects in it. (*Sorting* your
stuff differently was an afterthought.)

It doesn't filter every view of the inventory the same way.

<snip: details about storing four octets for each item player carries>

That sounds useful. I should check the archives for earlier discussion about
it. Given the discussion about a better map command, agreeing on what way to
extend the protocol could be complicated.

--
  Thanks,

 -- Kevin "Never done it" Rudat <

     krudat at origin.net.au

Has been bitten by semantics before.   Sci-Fi/Fantasy ... type.
Pretends to know a bit of programming. Very bad manners.
Terrible posture and co-ordination.    A forgetful ... wha?

<Kaa-Hahhnn> Humans are an example of a species rushed to life without
          proper testing... they have LOTS of bugs to fix. ;>

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com