[CF-Devel] metaserver tracking of clients by OS?

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Fri Sep 10 13:46:43 CDT 2004

On Friday 10 September 2004 01:28 am, Mark Wedel wrote:

      Rick Tanner wrote:

      > Does anyone have any comments on using the metaserver script to profile

      > what clients (and versions) by OS are connecting to (or logging in to)

      > the public servers?

      > What about concerns or questions with doing this?

        Well, I don't think you can actually do that.

        When the client connects to the metaserver, it does not send any

      information about itself - rather, the metaserver just sees a connection

      comes in and blindly sends the data.

        You can actually try this yourself:

      telnet crossfire.real-time.com 13326

      (see bunch of data come back)

I'll jump in here, since this is really something I ask Leaf about.

Cleaning up the makefiles and what-not, I see there is a lot of kruft (imho)
in the files.

I don't mean to start a flamefest, but, there is a lot of autoconf stuff for
platforms I just don't see people running.

I am just looking for something simple to track crossfire client operating
systems.

My guess is that no one(?) is running the client on:

alpha-dec-osf
mips*-sgi-irix*

My guess is that no one(?) is running the gnome client, since it's even
commented out of the build.

It comes down to if it works, why remove it vs If no one is using it, why
support it?

--
Bob Tanner <

     tanner at mn-linux.org

     >          | Phone : (952)943-8700

     http://www.mn-linux.org,

      Minnesota, Linux | Fax   : (952)943-8500
Key fingerprint = AB15 0BDF BCDE 4369 5B42  1973 7CF1 A709 2CC1 B288

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com