[CF-Devel] metaserver tracking of clients by OS?

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Mon Sep 13 02:08:11 CDT 2004

Bob Tanner wrote:

      On Saturday 11 September 2004 02:41 am, David McIlwraith wrote:

     Suggest nmap -O remote IP, and parse its output...

      Are you suggestion I port scan every IP address that has connected to

      metalforge?

      I have a feeling several people would not appreciate that.

  And it probably would be only of limited value anyways (given that many people
run personal firewalls/routers).

  That said, while the metaserver can't track clients by OS, the server could -
currently, the client doesn't send that much info to the server, but it could
certainly be modified to include OS information or the like.

  Just a note, this is a list of connection types of metalforge for the past few
months:
CS: connection from client of type < >
CS: connection from client of type < DX_CLIENT 125>
CS: connection from client of type < GTK Unix Client >
CS: connection from client of type < GTK Unix Client 1.2.0>
CS: connection from client of type < GTK Unix Client 1.4.0>
CS: connection from client of type < GTK Unix Client 1.5.0>
CS: connection from client of type < GTK Unix Client 1.6.0>
CS: connection from client of type < GTK Unix Client 1.6.1>
CS: connection from client of type < GTK Unix Client 1.7.0>
CS: connection from client of type < GTK Unix Client Post-1.6.0-CVS>
CS: connection from client of type < GTK Win32 Client 1.5.0>
CS: connection from client of type < GTK Win32 Client 1.6.0>
CS: connection from client of type < GTK Win32 Client 1.6.1>
CS: connection from client of type < GTK Win32 Client 1.7.0>
CS: connection from client of type < Illuminati>
CS: connection from client of type < Perl Bot>
CS: connection from client of type < SDL Client 0.02 Alpha>
CS: connection from client of type < SDL Client 0.03 Alpha (Kiev)>
CS: connection from client of type < X11 C Client>
CS: connection from client of type < X11 Unix Client 1.2.0>
CS: connection from client of type < X11 Unix Client 1.5.0>
CS: connection from client of type < X11 Unix Client 1.6.0>
CS: connection from client of type < X11 Unix Client 1.6.1>
CS: connection from client of type < X11 Unix Client 1.7.0>
CS: connection from client of type < X11 Unix Client Post-1.6.0-CVS>

  There are some pretty old clients connecting there (1.2, and I think the ones
that don't include the version predate 1.2 even).  Note sure what Illuminati is.
  Of course, since the client is open sourced, one could change the string to be
whatever they want.

  The problem with adding system type/os type is the fact that it would only
take effect for new clients.  So that may not really help to answer the question
on whether people are running on platform XYZ.

  OTOH, to me, disabling those isn't any big deal - if users complain, well,
then we know to add them back in or otherwise figure something out.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com