[CF-Devel] RFC: generalizing honorific titles and ranks

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Wed Sep 22 02:13:33 CDT 2004

Currently, there are noble rank in Scorn as you go trough
the Castle of Scorn quests; you can also be a member of both
armies in Pupland, and a Scholar of Kurte.  Maybe there are
other titles in other areas I didn't explore as thoroughly.

Scorn ranks and Kurte scholarship are forces.  Army membership
is not really recorded, you just have to know a password (which
is arguably a bug, since you can get the password from other
players or other, less honest ways).

Now, this is not like the end of the world, but I think it would
be a minor, cool improvement, and would be incentive for map
authors to use it more, if such titles/ranks/etc were generalized.

1. Introduce a new object type, tentatively named "title".

2. You see all your "titles" when you click on yourself.
(Actually you see the "title" field of each of them)

3. Titles are grouped by "race" and ranked by "value" [1].  If
you get a title with the same "race" of another one you have,
you only keep the one with the highest "value".  Exception: if
both have "value" 0, you keep the newest one.  (That means in
order to *decrease* rank on purpose, you have to first get rid
of the old object explicitly.)

4. When other players click on you, they see all your titles
that are not "invisible" [2], so you can look at someone and see
that (s)he is a Duke of Scorn.

5. Detectors, etc, would still work as they do with force; so if
you want a door to open only for Dukes, you can match by name,
but if you want another one to open for all ranks of nobility,
you can make they share a "slaying" field and match the door to
that.  (I hope I'm not remembering the way detectors work
incorrectly)

[1] Not sure if that wouldn't interfere with other code; if it
does, use "magic" instead

[2] Not sure if that wouldn't interfere with other code; if it
does, find some other field for that purpose

[]s,
                                               +----
--
            Those who trade freedom for security