[crossfire] Latest CVS version of java editor SERIOUSLY flawed on my system

Brendan Lally b.t.lally at warwick.ac.uk
Sun Apr 10 18:52:12 CDT 2005

On Sunday 10 Apr 2005 21:34, Andreas Kirschbaum wrote:

      I noticed the following by reviewing the cvs commit messages:

      The MapArchObject.region field is not explicitly initialized in the

      constructor. Therefore it will be initialized with null. But the method

      writeMapArch has the following code in it:

      |        if (region.length() > 0)

      |            stream.write("region "+region+"\n");

      That could probably cause a NullPointerException when saving the map, thus

      leaving behind a incompletely written file.

ok, but wouldn't that leave a file with the name written on the first line,
and nothing below it?

      Therefore, the proposed patch seem good to me. But I'd rather write

      |     private String region = "";           // the region the

      instead of

      |     private String region = new String(); // the region the

Forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between those two lines?