[crossfire] Latest CVS version of java editor SERIOUSLY flawed on my system

Brendan Lally b.t.lally at warwick.ac.uk
Sun Apr 10 18:51:44 CDT 2005

On Sunday 10 Apr 2005 20:50, tchize wrote:

      Just a small java note to Brendan Lally:

      Uninitialized objects in java does not exist. The compiler prevent this. So

      you will never get 'garbage' in an Object (like a String). Inside methods,

      compiler stop on 'variable xy might be used uninitialized' and for class

      members, all members are initialized to null, unless there is an explicit

      initial value.

This was what I figured whilst writing it initially, that the java compiler
would deal with all the bits where I would normally look at calling malloc. I
Should've known better than to trust the compiler I guess. I never intend to,
I always set out to write java like C, but everytime it draws me in with
promises of automagically working, then finds some obscure legalism in the
language spec to sucker me with. There is a reason I hate java. :)

      If the content of map file contains one or several 'null' (the 4 letters

      n.u.l.l.) it just means exactly that, the code attempted to convert a null

      object to a String.

Ok, so that isn't consistant with the description AFAICT, does that mean my
guess is wrong?