Lighting changes, was Re: [crossfire] Circular lighting & negetive glow_radiuses

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Wed Apr 13 08:30:35 CDT 2005

Alex Schultz wrote:

      Ok... hmmm... I just did some calculations and the conversion (when

      build right into the formula) effectively neutralizes the inverse

      square law portion of the formula such that I'm just left with the

      pythagorean theorm (instead of the max dist in either the x or y axis)

      and the fixes for negative glow_radiuses and the the old code. The

      Pythagorean theorem itself is so simple that I don't think that the

      overhead will make it worth making a lookup table. I'll make a diff

      for this ASAP.

Diff updated on the SF tracker (

     http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1171646&group_id=13833&atid=313833

)
Formula adjusted to match proper definition of glow_radius, which also
simplified it to the point where a lookup table shouldn't really have a
significant speed advantage. Additive lighting also removed (waiting on
a greater number of lighting levels). I don't see any reasons now why it
can't get into CVS now, but I might be missing something.

    --Alex Schultz (aka Rednaxela)