[crossfire] A few random ideas

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sat Apr 16 19:07:29 CDT 2005

Nicolas Weeger wrote:

       However, more relevantly, I wonder if there is a way to make these

      complex operations easier than having to mark an object? I'd think

      that perhaps the client could implement drag and drop for inventory

      and maybe figure that out on its own (user drags torches to the flint,

      or vice versa, etc).

      Well, drag & drop would be nice. But you'd need some way to tell the

      server what to do anyway - or have a command "use item1 on item2" with

      item identifiers. I didn't want to modify client for my thing in the

      first place. But indeed, now we could think of doing drag & drop. Only

      thing is to keep the command usable from the command line - like all

      other commands.

  The apply command could certain be extended to have something like a 'on'
keyword (or similar name).

  So you could do something like 'apply knife on apple' or 'apply flint and
steel on torch' and so on.

  For low level client communication, the apply command would need to be
extended or something.  So instead of:

C->S: apply <val>
     Tells the server that I want to apply the object <val>.  Like examine,
     <val> is a text representation of an integer tag.

Have something like:

C->S: apply2 <val1><val2>
     Tells the server that I want to apply the object <val1>.  If <val2> is non
zero, then <val1> is applied onto <val2>.  if <val2> is zero, then the object is
applied on its own.  Like examine, the <val>s are a text representation of an
integer tag.

  For drag on drop purposes, and to be consistent with the text commands, you'd
drag the object that does the applying to the other (eg, drag the flint and
steel to the torchs, or the knife to the apple).