Security Audit, was Re: [crossfire] Server release?

David Delbecq david.Delbecq at myrealbox.com
Sun Apr 17 13:49:56 CDT 2005

A few times ago, i tried to fix this by changing char* manipulation to some
macros. This made operations like strcat faster because we kept a track on
the lenght of buffer, but i dropped. This was taking me a huge amount of time
to code and the various changes in server occuring during that period made a
lot of conflict. The good point was 'it was working', the bad point was 'lots
of prototype changes'. Maybe i should retry but this time work on something
like commiting one clean file per week.

--- Mark Wedel <

     mwedel at sonic.net

     > wrote:
<snip>

        Unfortunately, some number of those calls are on

      data passed in, where it

      would require changing the function prototype to

      denote how large the buffer is.

        There are still a lot of calls to sprintf/strcpy

      in the code - fixing those is

      no smaller matter.

        On the bright side, the server requires no special

      privileges to run, so could

      be run in a jail/zone/chroot environment to mitigate

      the risks.

David Delbecq

     david.delbecq at myrealbox.com

Public PGP KEY FINGERPRINT:
    F4BC EF69 54CC F2B5 4621  8DAF 1C71 8E6B 5436 C17C
Public PGP KEY location:

     http://wwwkeys.pgp.net/pgpnet/wwwkeys.html