[crossfire] Am interested in porting to Mac

Brendan Lally b.t.lally at warwick.ac.uk
Wed Aug 10 19:24:18 CDT 2005

On Thursday 11 Aug 2005 00:25, Amorya North wrote:

      I'm interested in porting Crossfire to MacOS.

      If I go ahead with this, I'll write the client in Objective-C using

      the Cocoa API. Hopefully I'll be able to reuse some of the backend

      code (such as packet parsing) by wrapping it in an objective-C

      object. That does depend on my learning exactly how the existing

      client works though!

In theory all C code compiles to objective C as well. (I say in theory, I have
never tried it in practise).

If this is so, it should be sufficiant to take the common/ directory, and
compile the C files there as if they were objective C and then add a cocoa/
directory to replace the functions provided by the existing x, gtk and gtk2
libraries.

This should be easier than writing from the ground up, the common/ directory
deals with things like command parsing, metaserver communications, client
scripting, and various other bits too.

alternitively, you might want to speak to techII who has a python client in
some state of existance, it might be easier to go over that and replace the
api calls with cocoa equivilents.

And yes, I am aware that what I suggest is not the way that it is supposed to
be done, but it is one that would probably work if your Makefile-fu is strong
enough.