[crossfire] gcfclient and sign display

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Tue Aug 16 23:12:16 CDT 2005

Brendan Lally wrote:

      On 8/16/05, tchize <

      tchize at myrealbox.com

      > wrote:

      Even better would be if the food value were a role against Int, and if

      recalling a sign with a low food value corrupted the message

      (arbitrarily transposed some words, or mispelt some things) - the

      recall then, would be the memory of the /character/, and not the

      player.

  The problem with that is then the players will just copy/paste the contents of
important signs into text editors or whatever.

  Unless there was a hook to actually require the character have read and
remember the sign, all it really does is add more bother to the player.  And
that's something I'd want to avoid at some level.

  My real beef about the signs wasn't long term memory.  There are several maps
that have a sign early on in the map which contain info related to finishing the
map(s).  Being able to find that information without having to visit the sign
again is nice, and the current implementation doesn't have that.

  With the multiple text windows, sign messages don't get lost that often (but
this depends on frequency of people chatting).  So all I really wanted was some
way to have that info there - putting a copy in the text window works fine or me.