[crossfire] Quests ideas, continued

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Wed Aug 17 02:38:19 CDT 2005

        It'd probably be nice if that is somehow setable (eg, you

     need to do tasks

      1,5,6, but 2 and 3 are optional).   Not positive how hard

     that would be to set up.

My idea is that it would be implicitely optional, at the quest
designer's implementation.
I picute a quest like a tree, with many leafs (tasks) and the
root (quest). You have a dependancy network (ie must complete
task "find the missing sheeps of the farmar" before you can
start the "punish the guy who stole the sheep" quest).
But some would be optional, like you don't need to do the "fix
the fence" quest.
Completing a task could complete the quest, even if some tasks
are left opened - but you could still do them later on if you
feel like it.
But yes, a was to indicate a ask optional would be a good idea.

        I'd like that be be more general - activates any connected

     object, just not an

      altar.  Might not make sense to tie some actions, but I

     think the ability would

      make it more flexible.

Yeah, that's what the "..." meant :)
Basically i'd want to hook on any item (even reading a book -
imagine you find a book with dumb information, but when you
have talked to someone suddenly you get real information in
the book!)

        If this is a level or percentage of a level, then I think

     some form of cap is

      needed.  Eg, you don't want high level characters doing easy

     quests as a way to

      get a level in something.

True. But again it's a question of game balance - you can do a
level 1 monster that gives 100000000000 exp, but there isn't
any (that i'm aware of :p). So a quest giving a high
percentage would quite certainly be a hard one.

        probably want to record quests that where completed, not

     sure if we care about

      unfinished tasks.

I tink we can discard some things but keep others. So no need
to remember that "player found the missing sheep", but nice to
remember "player knows the shortcut in the manor". Could be
done through forces, of course.

        Monsters being killed doesn't happen that often, so

     checking their contents at

      that time isn't that big a deal.

        All the rest are relatively infrequent (player talking,

     altar, etc).  So I

      don't think performance wise, it shoudl be much an issue.

Think so too. So I'll implement just with items in inventory,
and if performance issues quest objetcs will be moved to their
own inventory (or another way to optimize).

Ryo