[crossfire] Crossedit patches

Kevin Rudat krudat at iinet.net.au
Sun Aug 21 01:26:49 CDT 2005

On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 09:53:43PM -0700, Mark Wedel wrote:

       On the one hand, crossedit is basically obsoleted, so I don't want to

       spend a bunch of time and resources maintaining it.

       On the other, if people want to do so, who am I to say don't do it.

I was thinking/hoping you'd say something like that. =)

       That said, when doing such patches, it makes it much easier to deal with

       if each patch is limited to what is if fixing/adding, and not redoing other

      code, or a collection of fixes.  Small focused patches are much easier to

      look over and be convinced that they do the right thing.

       And while not an issue with crossedit, the general case is that if the

       patches can be isolated, more likely to apply correctly or figure out what

      is going on. If the patch does several things and very large, odds are

       more likely that it may get a conflict, and it can also be harder to tell

      what the correction to that conflict is (eg, not clear what bug/feature is

      being addressed).

*nods*

I didn't mean to imply that I'd give a bunch of changes in one monolithic
patch. :(

Which patches is it worth making, for inclusion in CVS?

At the moment all the changes are in one source tree. It's a bit more work
to extract them into separate diffs.

I wanted to know if there's any objections to the changes, so I don't spend
time composing patches that won't be used.

I mean, objections to each idea, rather than issues discovered when
reviewing a patch itself.

---

Thanks for your time.
Kevin Rudat