[crossfire] Map cache

Rick Tanner leaf at real-time.com
Fri Aug 26 11:05:04 CDT 2005

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Brendan Lally wrote:

      In total there are 3888528 occurances of 'arch' in the bigworld maps. (grep)

      If we assume on average that every square has one, and only one floor

      tile, then a little bit of bash and bc gives 2832098 ground squares.

      This means there is 'only' about a million squares with relevant items

      on them, which is still much less. Whether a server could run at full

      speed with that I don't know.

Is it the world or dungeon maps that when loaded into memory cause the
server to lag or freeze?

Or is it player related maps such as guilds, apartments, etc. that is
causing the server to lag or freeze?

I'm inclined to say player related maps.