[crossfire] Map cache

adam ashenfelter aashenfe at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 13:10:09 CDT 2005

On 8/26/05, Mark Wedel <

     mwedel at sonic.net

     > wrote:

        Better long term would be for each map to have its own thread.  With multi

      core/thread cpu's, this makes more and more sense.

        However, that requires some prety significant changes.  First being that any

      function that declares any variables as static is not thread safe.

     I agree, but what about multi process?

Each map would be a process.
One central dispatcher could keep track of which user is on which map,
and forward data to and from that process and the client.  It would
also handle some user communication.

When a user leaves a map, the map process writes changes to their file.
When a user enters a map their file is loaded.

I don't know how feasable this is, but it could enable crossfire to
run on multiple servers.

Adam