[crossfire] Re: I'll commit the large denomination coin archtypes, I'd like to edit the amber coin to look more ambery (any objections)?

Lalo Martins lalo.martins at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 14:15:59 CST 2005

And so says Miguel Ghobangieno on 26/12/05 23:20...
> For the map aspect I don't think the scorn bank change
> with amber and jade coin converter tables should be
> added to CVS.

Ok, maybe not Scorn since it's a starter city, but I'd like to see
plat->jade in low-medium-level places such as Darcap and Lone Town, and
jade->amber in medium and high level places, regardless of your idea
below.  (Unless we go for full local currencies.)

> I think for the code aspect there should be a list of
> regions where amber and jade coins may be given as
> change. If on a shopmap the region matches one of
> these then amber and jade may be given. I think this
> list should include azamuindo... but not much else.

Because it's your map?  :-)

In our world jade is associated with the east.  In Crossfire, it's just
a very rare material.  It should be given in medium-level places.

> All shops should accept amber and jade. (Also, as
> errac noted, they should probably accept imperials,
> also I have committed the bank card arch so work can
> be done on that too :D).

After you told me of this idea this morning (my timezone at least), I
was checking the code, and actually I think we can do better, if that's
the direction we want to go.

1: instead of a new file, it can just be a new field in the regions file.

2: it wouldn't be too hard to implement full local currencies.  What do
people think of that?

So here's the detailed local currencies proposal.

Local currencies
=================

The player needs to have a field or force saying his region of
citizenship.  This would be used for appraisals.  To do this, in the
hall where you select starting city, the exits would be replaced with
player changers (and the code needs to be updated to handle this new
type of player changer).

There should probably be ways to change your citizenship.  For example,
when you get the Pupland passport, you should be offered citizenship.

Each region would have a field called "money", containing a
comma-separated list of archetype names, in order of decreasing value.
A region can omit this field (or have it blank), in which case it
"inherits" from its parent.

The "world" region would have: "money platinacoin goldcoin silvercoin"
(unless we want to take the opportunity to change that too - it's
ridiculous how little silver is worth on bigworld :-( but that's a
separate issue)

When you sell something at a store, it would pick the coins to give you
from the region's money.

UNDECIDED: shops may either accept any and all money (easy to do -
instead of iterating over a list of money archs, it iterates over the
money archs in the player's inventory), or they may accept only region
money, forcing you to go to the bank first.  Thoughts?  If we go with
the second, then "tourist-friendly" shops can have converters in a corner.

Monster treasure would also pick from the region money, although I
suppose we could allow a money field in the map too, if you want a map
to give funny money.

Then it's all fun... I'd suggest getting rid of the existing
gold/silver/plat "generic" coins and replacing them with non-coined
pieces (which probably explains their relatively low value).  Then
introducing the "scorn penny", "scorn shilling", "scorn pound", "navar
cent", "navar dime", "navar dollar", "pupland marks", and so on ad
infinitum.

This can also support mwedel's notion of accepting gems as money, by
simply stating in the appropriate code that type GEM is as acceptable as
type MONEY.  So if shops accept foreign currency, they will also accept
gems; if they don't, you'll be able to put gems in the money field for a
region or map.  (Carrying gems would then be a good strategy when going
to a new country - you'll never know if they have exchange service for
the money you have...)

best,
                                               Lalo Martins
           personal: http://www.laranja.org/