[crossfire] Banking system

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Dec 28 00:29:27 CST 2005

  My point about dropping money in the shop is more a convenience thing, not
realism (using the 'r' word with crossfire is never a good idea).

  But my general thought is that if a bankkeeper is willing to accept usage of
the check card (or whatever its called), it just makes it easier for players so
they don't have to run to the bank every time they want to get rid of their
coins.  That's not one of the things I really like in real life, so could do
without it in a game.

  As far as check books, various thoughts:

1) the bank itself could charge some fee (fixed percentage) of the money being
deposited.  After all, they are taking all those coins and storing them away.
Number should probably be relatively low.

2) Shops could add some surcharge if using such a card.  Perhaps make this a map
property.  Arguably, the bigger the purchase, the smaller (percentage wise) this
charge would be.  If you're buying something for 4 gp, its a bit of a bother for
the shopkeeper to take that check and get the money.  If you're spending 50,000
pp, the shop keeper would probably prefer that money get transferred directly to
their bank account - they don't want 5 tons of platinum.

  If one was going to be more realistic, there really should be regional banks
(scorn bank, navar city bank, etc), and you'd need to use the appropriate check
book in the appropriate city (or the shops should demand a lot more money for
using accounts of a foreign nature).  Or perhaps the at the bank itself, you
could transfer money, but with a fairly hefty fee (have to use magic after all
to really confirm there is the money in that remote account, etc).  But that
really just makes things more a bother for the player.