[crossfire] Text based client, "stifling" conversation, ancient history

Mitch Obrian mikeeusaaa at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 7 11:20:54 CST 2005

Would be a cool start. It could then eventually have
subroutiens added to it (since the net code is
allready there) to show the map is ASCII (like adom
etc)... and maby the server programmers will add more
literature to the game (ie more detailed text output..
like embellish "x hit you" into something more
interesting and variable, and maby put some things
about the weather changing and the sun going up and
down etc to keep the mood fantastical). I've been
playing with a cfbot making it show stats etc... but I
don't know curses and am not such a good programmer so
it would never become the ANSI text client that is the
holy grail of the CF entusiast/ command line junkie.

If the server coders want me to make up some new
literature ill be glad to (ie messages that appear on
the screen when things happen).

--- Bob Tanner <

     tanner at real-time.com

     > wrote:

      A very long time ago, I started a text based

      "client". The noise on the forums

      about a text based client has made me dig the code

      back out.

      The whole thread of stifling the conversation also

      brought back some ancient

      history about having a text based client so people

      (Leaf) have a light client

      for being logged in metalforge to monitor PKers,

      etc.

      After finding everquest, they have a pretty cool

      idea, eqim, it's an IM client

      for talking/monitoring in game

      communications/channels/etc.

      I think with a little work the beginnings of the

      text client I have could be

      wrapped into an IM-like client.

      Question, make a plugin for kopete or a plugin for

      jabber?

      Or would something hacked onto xchat be better?

      --

      Bob Tanner <

      tanner at mn-linux.org

      >          | Phone :

      (952)943-8700

      http://www.mn-linux.org,

       Minnesota, Linux | Fax   :

      (952)943-8500

      Key fingerprint = AB15 0BDF BCDE 4369 5B42  1973

      7CF1 A709 2CC1 B288

      crossfire at metalforge.org