[CF-Devel] Python questions

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Tue Jan 11 02:32:35 CST 2005

Todd Mitchell wrote:

      I'd go along with this -  the deb version of CF server in Woody is not

      even close to current.  I just mentioned it as something to keep in mind

      - maybe some sort of howto or notification on how to build Crossfire

      with a alternate python path is in order.  (I believe it is configure --

      pythonsomething=<path>). Also I would in this case suggest we jump over

      2.2 and make 2.3 (or even 2.4?) the new 'test target' for crossfire

      python.  This will give us a longer period of stability again and there

      are some nice things in there we can benefit from (like universal line

      ending and dictionary iteration in 2.3).

      Also I believe that real-time is moving from redhat to debian so this

      issue may be more salient as this goes on.

  I'd be inclined not to make a specific version a requirement until features
that require that version are put in place.

  It shouldn't be hard to just put in basic version checking - to some extent,
the config program already does this just by searching for python.  Perhaps life
could be made easier by putting something like 'MIN_PYTHON_VERSION' as a define
or the like to make it easier to update.

  The real problem of requiring later version when it isn't needed is that
someone doesn't have that later version and figures out how to fool the config
scripts or whatever to use the older version, and then poses the question 'why
do you require version XYZ if you don't need it', of which there isn't a great
answer.

  In terms of requiring 2.4, that seems quite bleeding edge - I have a feeling
if that is required, 90% of the people would need to download it special (won't
be included by default in what they are running).  So there is a fine line
between requiring what is needed matched against what people are actually using.

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com