[crossfire] client: pickup count

Robert Brockway rbrockway at opentrend.net
Tue Jan 18 08:26:15 CST 2005

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, Mark Wedel wrote:

      I just tried this out, and it worked normal, as far as I'm concerned.

      In my testing, I dropped a huge pile of platinum, and disabled auto pickup

      mode.

      hitting '14' ',' picked up 14 platinum, and so on for other quantities.

Yes this works.  My experience is this:

If I ran your test I would also be able to pickup 14 as long as the count
box was empty.  The count now contains 14.  If I try to pickup something
else without entering a new number then it will pass 14 to the pickup
routine again.  Thus I'll pickup 14 of the new item or fail depending on
whether there are more or less than 14 items.  Any attempt to add a new
number before the pickup will append to the 14.

I need to move to the count box and "zero" it by repeatedly entering 0s
until the number clears.  Count will now operate normally until a new
number is entered.

Note, I've used pickup as an example here but this problem applies to
everything using count IIRC.

      One thing to look at is the 'count' spin at the top of the inventory pane.

      I also run with no popup mode and non split (one big window).

I run with popups and non-split.  I was going to change to no popup
actually.  Thanks for reminding me :)

      One oddity, which as I recall has no good solution, is that if I take a step

      or do other command between entering the number and executing the pickup,

      that it doesn't use the account.

      Eg, typing '4', 'who', ',' will result picking up the entire pile, not just

      4 coins.

      There is also some odd remembering of those results, as if I then click to

      drop the coins again, it only drops 4 coins, not the entire pile.

My problem is also an odd remembering of the count but is not tied to me
issuing commands between the count and ','.

      In any case, it basically works.  This could certainly be improved by the

Yes, the problem I'm seeing can be worked around but it is a bit annoying.
If I drop 14 platinum pieces I don't think the client or server should
assume I am going to pickup 14 food or that I want the next number to
start with 1 4 :)

      server sending the count value it is expecting to use to the client (because

      those special cases I mention above do clear the server side count).  Thus,

      the client would know if its count value was used or not (but as I think

      about it, I'm not sure if the client should care).

      One possibility for what it doesn't work is if there is some intervening

      command from entering the number to typing the comma (maybe comma is bound to

      something more than just pickup?)

As I read the first part of your post I was wondering this.  I'll go look
at the keybindings.  This would certainly explain why I've seen it across
numerous client and server versions since my keybindings are that old.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.

     rbrockway at opentrend.net

     http://www.opentrend.net

OpenTrend Solutions: Reliable, secure solutions to real world problems.
Contributing Member of Software in the Public Interest (www.spi-inc.org)