[crossfire] Re: Map Protocol Question

Alex Schultz AlDragon at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 11:23:29 CDT 2005

Andreas Kirschbaum <

     kirschbaum at ...

     > writes:

      (clipped so gmane posting thing doesn't complain)

      The currently existing "real" clients circumvent this bug by just

      sending a mapredraw command after they receive a newmap command.

      (more clipping to make gmane happy)

Ah, Thanks! I'll guess I'll make the bot send a mapredraw upon the newmap
command.

      You cannot fix the clients as well by just not sending the mapredraw

      command because that would break new clients connecting to old servers

      (i.e. not fixed servers). One solution I thought of was to increase the

      server version and make the client not send the mapredraw command only

      if it detects a fixed server.

Wouldn't it work if you made the server behave properly, then let existing
clients just send their mapredraw anyways? It might be a tad bit of extra wasted
bandwidth, but it would make new servers behave properly to the protocol spec
and old clients wouldn't be hurt, and just continue to waste bandwidth with the
mapredraw to a similar to how they do already.

Alex Schultz