[crossfire] Client display issue

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Jul 7 01:49:58 CDT 2005

Anton Oussik wrote:

      On 7/6/05, Mark Wedel <

      mwedel at sonic.net

      > wrote:

     However, on corrupted maps, that does not fix the problem...

      It happens very infrequently, but from time

      to time the server poisons the maps with

      black tiles, which looks alike to a gap in

      the fabric of space. Although it's a good

      effect, and goes a great way of showing

      that the universe we live in is fragile, I don't

      think it's intentional. Has anyone else

      noticed this or knows why it happens?

      I'd hate something like this to happen to my

      apartment/guild.

  I know a behavior - I'm not sure if it exactly what you are talking about.

  An example of this behavior is the coloseum in scorn at night.

  As said, the server sends the lower right coordinate for the face, even if the
entire thing is not visible.

  So what can happen is that some portion is visible, and some portion is not
(because it is too dark to see).  However, the client knows about the entire
image, so draws all of it, but it doesn't have any background, and thus looks odd.

  The other case you may be talking about is monsters that cast darkness.  The
'darkness' image is a black space that is the full tile size.  So this looks
'odd'.  This is easy to confirm - go stand on that space and in the look window,
the darkness will show up as 'darkness'.

  I'd probably be interesting to add smoothing for the darkness arc - that way
diagonal lines of darkness at least woudl look not so ragged.  Or perhaps
replace the darkness arc with something not as block so it doesn't look quite so
abnormal.

      crossfire at metalforge.org