[crossfire] Quests, continued

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Thu Jul 28 03:37:01 CDT 2005

        Do you then have a requirement that the item in question

     be unique in name or

      something?  Do you somehow tie the quest to specific quests?

Maybe make a specific quest item - key with a unique slaying
field, for instance. Or maybe just get 10 potatoes, not
quest-specific items, depending on quest.

        What I'm geting at is that you don't want to disable the

     player from finding

      whatever that item is in other chests.

Well, i don't mention removing random items themselves.
Case scenario: player gets to treasure room or a ruined
castle, opens chests, find nice treasures.

Then later s-he talks to a npc: 'i'm the former servant of the
now dead king of that castle, could you recover my master's
mirror for me? i'd like to keep it as a souvenir' [insert
usual spam / reward line here :p]. Player redoes map, then in
one of the chests finds treasures and that mirror - but can't
find it without having talked to the npc.

Of course you could imagine quests where you start by finding
an item => don't redrop item if quest already started. Thus
need to check inventory / do quest thing.

        but being able to connect it to other connected objects

     has additional value.

        For example, pulling different levers could perhaps change

     your quest state.

      Or any other numerous connected objects - sacrificing

     something at an altar

      might not only open the door, but also change quest state, etc.

My changes apply also to magic ears. Thus you can hook a magic
ear to the door, and a marker with a quest thingy. But it
could certainly be simplified, true.

        I thought you said you didn't want the quest stuff to be

     in the plugin?  this seems to state otherwise.

Well, some parts could now be done with plugin. But I think
it'll be better to do everything in the server itself.
I'll write a draft document with wanted functions & such, to
think about all issues :)

        I also think the trying to generate custom items via

     plugin could be a pain

      (eg, a bunch of script lines to set specific values on the

     object), unless that

      custom item is stored in the quest objects inventory or

     something.  And if we're

      going to do that, why get the plugin involved - let the

     quest controller do the

      right thing.

*nod* Just a matter of linking reward item to the quest one
way or the other, and there you go - but still can use Python
like Occidental ring thingy, for instance.

        Same point above applies however.  I'd also think from a

     map maker

      perspective, it would certainly be nicer if I'm not required

     to know/use the

      plugin code to do simple quests.

        Now, the alternative object logic should perhaps be in the

     plugin, but I think

      the basic item creation should be in the server code.

Yeah, if doing large quest system, makes sense to do all in
server. Also makes plugin not required, always better.

        What the server does would largely be based on the object

     in question, but I

      think it'd be pretty easy to work out a system.

*nod*

Ryo