[crossfire] Quests, continued

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Fri Jul 29 02:27:51 CDT 2005

        As a note, it isn't possible the code to know if an object

     in the chest was

      placed there by the mapmaker or was part or randomly

     generated treasure.

True.

        What you probably want to do is add something like

     FLAG_QUEST_ITEM - this

      makes the processing all around much easier.

I was thinking of:
* create a new either 'quest' archetype, or special force, for
quests (right now i use forces, will probably keep that)
* use that to link items to quests. So an item could actually
be part of multiple quests. It's then just a matter of adding
force to item's inventory - editor lets do that, and maybe
we'll have a nice interface to manage quests.

Flag is nice, but doesn't contain enough information - what
quest? At what point in the quest is item concerned? What
message should we give to player, if any?

Then it could be simple, when opening the chest, to check for
one such force in items in chest - if there's a force, and
player doesn't have it, remove affected item.

        One question - what about these just showing up not in

     quests.  Eg, suppose it

      is in a chest, but the chest is burned up.  Does the item

     then always go away

      then?  Is it visible to everyone?  Not visible, but if

     player as part of quest

      is on the space it should be, it is visible?

I would say:
* quest items burn as everything else, unless mapmaker made it
indestructible. After all, not different than existing quest
items!
* quests should be party-aware. So if a party player is doing
a quest, and another party player not doing the quest opens
the chest, the quest item does appear and maybe quest-doing
player is warned so he can tell other player 'gimme that item
plz'.
* if two unrelated players play in same map, and one not doing
the quest opens the chest, item doesn't show up. Let's just
argue that the player forced the chest open and destroyed the
item by being uncareful :)
* or we could give the item anyway - this way quest doing
player could get item from another player
* or we could give the item anyway, but remove the quest
force, thus a player can only get the item if doing quest
she-him-self

Ryo